THE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT (HOD) FOR COMMUNITY SAFETY AND LIAISON MR. BLESSING SIBUSISO GUMBI
Mr Blessing Sibusiso Gumbi, known as “Sibusiso” officially joined the KZN Department of Community Safety and Liaison as the Head of Department (HOD) as from the 1st of June 2020. Mr. Gumbi whose previous position was HOD for KZN Department of Transport (DOT) from 2013 to May 2020. DOT is a sister Department of Community Safety and Liaison. Prior to that he was the Senior General Manager in the Provincial Regulatory Entity which encompasses two wings; the Regulatory Authority and Monitoring and Compliance. He visited and participated in numerous countries to deal with transportation matters. He also served in quite a number of structures that deals with peace and stability including Justice, Crime and Prevention System (JCPS).
Gumbi holds the following academic qualifications:
- Bachelor of Admin – UKZN (1994)
- Honours in Bachelor of Admin (Industrial Relations) UKZN (1995)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Transportation Management – University of Johannesburg (1999)
- Attended Transport Seminars and Workshops in USA, Germany, Curitiba, Columbia and Brazil
The significant role for the HOD is to provide strategic administration direction, work hand in hand with the MEC to ensure that the department is able to achieve its mandate by law which is to monitor the effectiveness and efficiency of the police service and promote community police relations.
PURPOSE: To monitor the effectiveness and efficiency of the police service and promote community police relations
- Facilitate the effective and efficient functioning of the Provincial Secretariat for Police for the Province of KwaZulu-Natal
- Manage and monitor the provision of Corporate Management Services
- Ensure that efficient internal audit and risk management services are provided in the Department